Einstein once said, “Creativity is contagious. Pass it on.”Having your words immortalized is an honour only a few can boast of. Most of them posthumously. With the dawn of the internet, we’ve noticed more anonymous quotes floating around. The silver screen has doled out its fair share of infamous quotes as well.
Quotes delivered in written form and spoken by the famous have etched themselves into our minds and hearts. Though there’s a huge part that occurs before these words even reach the silver screen. This integral part is Video Editing.
There have been great minds in this essential living workforce that have had a fair share to say. Here are some of the coolest video editing quotes we’ve come across!
30 Best Video Editing Quotes
While there’s no dearth of video editing quotes out there here are some of the most relatable and humorous video editing quotes we could find.
- “I love editing. I think I like it more than any other phase of filmmaking. If I wanted to be frivolous, I might say that everything that precedes editing is merely a way of producing film to edit.” – Stanley Kubrick
- “To receive footage that has been shot with editing in mind, is a blessing.” – Thelma Schoonmaker
- “The process of editing is what I enjoy most – putting the pieces together and making sense out of them.” – Christian Marclay
- “Editing is everything. Cut until you can cut no more.” – Esther Freud
- “I learned directing by editing because I saw all the mistakes I had made.” – Julie Delpy
- “The essence of cinema is editing. It’s the combination of what can be extraordinary images of people during emotional moments, or images in a general sense, put together in a kind of alchemy.”– Francis Ford Coppola
- “The bottom line is that your performance is made in the editing room.”– Brent Sexton
- “I love editing. It’s one of my favourite parts about filmmaking.” – Steven Spielberg
- “The less the camera is able to capture what you’re seeing in a scene, the more editing it needs.”– Tom Anderson
- “I don’t do any research. It’s all about gut. Editing – it’s always about gut.”– Graydon Carter
- “The main thing that I learned from editing is that most people, when they’re making a film, they start too early into the story. They will try to set up the characters, they will try to establish things before the plot actually starts.” – Steven Zaillian
- “Film editing is now something almost everyone can do at a simple level and enjoy it, but to take it to a higher level requires the same dedication and persistence that any art form does.” – Walter Murch
- “Editing is where movies are made or broken. Many a film has been saved and many a film has been ruined in the editing room.” – Joe Dante
- “In editing, it’s amazing how you choose the in and out points. What you cut on is everything for creating tension. It’s amazing how expanding a shot by five seconds can just ruin the tension.” – Sean Durkin
- “The notion of directing a film is the invention of critics – the whole eloquence of cinema is achieved in the editing room.”– Walter Murch
- “I definitely in filmmaking more and more find writing and directing a means to harvest material for editing. It’s all about editing.”– Alexander Payne
- “It’s good to get away from the editing suite. It’s very unhealthy to be sitting in front of the screen for too long.”–Christian Marclay
- “I don’t shoot movies quickly because I get a lot of coverage and a lot of angles, so we have all the pieces in the editing. I do a lot of takes, but it’s because I’m looking for something.”– Nancy Meyers
- “That’s the thing about making a movie: You never finish editing. They just take it away from you.”– Abel Ferrara